Experimented and cooked up a batch of Bhut Jolokia/Trinidad Scorpion hot sauce ... calling it Rooster's Rocket Fuel. Good addition to Cajun recipes like black beans and rice or seafood gumbo. A little rocket fuel goes a long way!! Good blend of pepper heat and flavor.
Here's the recipe.
Rooster's Rocket Fuel
Recipe Yields about one pint
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 15 fresh Bhut Jolokia and/or Trinidad Scorpion chilies (about 6 oz. total), sliced and seeded (note: use more or less chilies and/or leave more or less membrane and seeds to increase or decrease the heat)
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed (about 1 oz.)
- 1/2 cup minced onion (about 2 oz.)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, combine oil, peppers, garlic, onion, and salt; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in water, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the ingredients are soft. Stir frequently. Remove from heat, and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender, and puree until smooth. Pour in vinegar and sugar; blend until mixed. Keep refrigerated .
Editors note: This recipe is similar to the product that we sell as Rooster's Rocket Fuel™ hot sauce. It's close enough to try and use as a basis for your own experimentation.